Wayne Metro


COVID Emergency Rental Assistance

More information about eligibility, document requirements and how to contact Wayne Metro can be found below!


COVID Emergency Rental Assistance

More information about eligibility, document requirements and how to contact Wayne Metro can be found below!

Rent Assistance

Up to 12 months of back rent assistance, with 3 months of forward rent for lowest income tenants.

Utility Assistance

Includes water, sewer, heat and electricity. Assistance is based on household size, but the maximum amount is $2,500. Internet stipend is also available for those who present a bill.

CERA Program Eligibility

Low-income households in Wayne County (CLICK HERE to check the income threshold for other household situations) AND who have had a hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic including:

Renters with past-due rent and utility balances and those with subsidized housing can receive assistance if they meet the other eligibility requirements. Tenants or landlords can apply on behalf of a household. For full information about MSHDA’s CERA Program eligibility requirements, CLICK HERE.

Documents Required For


  • State ID or passport
  • Income documents: 2020 IRS 1040, pay stubs from last two months, unemployment letters or SSI letters
  • Past-due rent notice or utility bills
  • Copy of current lease agreement
  • Proof of COVID Hardship: Medical bills, child care expenses, or other major costs to the household incurred during COVID-19

Documents Required For


  • Signed, fully completed Landlord Application
  • Copy of the lease (if a written lease was completed)
  • Ledger showing tenant’s payment history in 2020 and 2021
  • W-9

Frequently Asked Questions

What does the COVID Emergency Rental Assistance (CERA) program help with?
The CERA program helps with past due rent and utility bills. Depending on your income, you may be eligible to receive up to 12 months of past due rental assistance and then three months of future rent.

Is there a maximum amount of assistance I can receive?
For rental assistance, there is no maximum dollar amount. There is only a limit on the number of months you can receive assistance (12 months for back rent, plus three months future rent). For utility assistance, the maximum amount is $2,500 for all utilities. All assistance amounts are based on your income level, the amount you owe, and household size (for utilities).

What information is needed from my landlord?
Your landlord will need to provide a CERA landlord application, a copy of the lease, payment history in 2020 and 2021, and a W-9.

What kind of documents do I need to submit for proof of a COVID hardship?
The chart below outlines acceptable forms of documentation:

If I applied for the last program (Eviction Diversion Program), can I apply for the new program (CERA)?
Yes – you may apply if you are still behind on rent or utilities.

What happens after I submit my application?
Your application will be reviewed for completeness and assigned to a housing specialist. The specialist will reach out to you and your landlord to review any additional information needed.

How long will it take for me to get assistance?
We appreciate your patience, as we anticipate receiving a high volume of applications. Those with eviction court cases will be prioritized. We have hired a significant number of staff, who will be working urgently to make sure you are contacted in a timely manner. Applications with incorrect or incomplete documents submitted will result in significant delays.

Wayne Metro’s CERA Application can be found here:

For more info on all programs available at Wayne Metro, please visit:

Need help navigating or completing the online application?

Detroit, Hamtramck, & Highland Park
(866) 313-2520

All Other Areas in Wayne County
(734) 284-6999

Search Wayne Metro