This program is for Detroit homeowners who LIVE IN and OWN their home and are struggling with property tax debt. The first step of this program is to apply and be approved for the City of Detroit HOPE property tax exemption for current year property taxes.
Book your intake today!
What is a HOPE (formerly HPTAP)?
HOPE stands for Homeowners Property Exemption. It is also referred to as the Poverty Tax Exemption, “PTE” or Hardship Program. HOPE provides an opportunity for homeowners to be exempt from their current year property taxes based on household income or circumstances. If approved, you will still be responsible for any fees such as the solid waste fee. The solid waste fee is discounted at to $120 for HOPE approved homeowners. The HOPE application is an annual application, homeowners must apply every year.
Do I qualify?
Eligibility for the HOPE is based on whether you own and occupy your home as your primary residence and your household income or circumstances. Please review the income levels listed below. Most homeowners whose income is below the guidelines are generally approved. Only the Board of Review may approve an application.
How do I apply for HOPE and PAYS?
PAYS is available only to homeowners who have been granted an HOPE. Click here to get help applying for the HOPE program or call 313-244-0474 to be connected to organizations that can help you apply or
What do I need to provide?
To be considered for an exemption on your property taxes, the applicant is required to submit the following to the Board of Review:
• A completed Michigan Department of Treasury Form 5737 (Application for MCL 211.7u Poverty Exemption) and Form 5739 (Affirmation of Ownership and Occupancy),
• Registered proof of ownership (Deed, land contract, probate court order, divorce judgment etc.),
• Any form of government ID with address and picture of the homeowner and all residents over the age of 18,
• Proof of income for ALL members of the household (this includes any minor children). Examples: W2’s, paystubs, SSI/SSD, pension FIA/DHS, child support, self-employment, signed and notarized letter from who is helping you financially, etc.
• 2021 Federal and State tax returns for all adults, if filed (if are not required to file a tax return, the adult must complete a Michigan Treasury Form 4988 Poverty Exemption Affidavit and IRS 4506-T and can provide W2’s, social security statements, or any other document that proves the past year’s income),
• Proof of residency for all minors in the household (such as FIA Statement, Report Card, Transcript, minor listed on tax return, etc.)
When will my debt be paid off?
Click here to monitor your balance and/or request a receipt.
Can I sell my home if my debt is paid by this fund?
Yes! The goal of this program is to stabilize housing for Detroiters and build economic opportunity in Detroit. The debt is paid free and clear; there is no lien placed on the property.
Will my ownership of the property be at risk if my debt is paid by this fund?
No! The goal of this fund is to keep Detroiters in their homes. The debt is paid free and clear – you maintain ownership.
What are HOPE and PAYS
The Homeowners Property Exemption (HOPE) program is a City of Detroit program that helps low-income homeowners eliminate or lower their CURRENT year property taxes. The Pay As You Stay (PAYS) program is administered by the Wayne County Treasurer’s office and reduces back taxes owed by homeowners who have been granted a HOPE. You must be granted a HOPE in order to be eligible for PAYS.
What if I have applied for the HOPE program but haven’t received an approval letter yet?
Interested residents should call 313-224-3030 to confirm eligibility.
What if I applied for the HOPE (HPTAP) program previously but not 2022?
Due to state legislation, if you were previously approved for the HOPE/HPTAP program, please call 313-224-3030 to confirm eligibility.
Book your intake appointment today!